Interactive Music Systems is currently offered:
- Spring 2017. MW11-12:30. Room 24-033F.
- Instructor: Eran Egozy. TA: Yuge Ji
It is next offered:
- Fall 2017. MW11-12:30. Room 24-033F.
- Instructor: Eran Egozy. TA: Barry McNamara
- IMPORTANT: IMS is typically over-subscribed. To be considered for enrollment in this class, you MUST pre-register. No student will be accepted who has not pre-registered. The selection process is based on answers to an online questionnaire and a lottery. Questionnaires will be emailed to pre-registered students on August 14, 2017 and are due August 21, 2017.
Interactive Music Systems is a hands on programming and design course that explores audio synthesis, musical structure, HCI (human computer interaction), and visual presentation as the ingredients for the creation of engaging real-time interactive musical experiences.
These experiences allow users to connect with music more deeply than through passive listening. The most successful ones give users intuitive control, greater musical insight, and a deeper emotional response to the musical experience.
Some examples include:
- Games like Guitar Hero, Rock Band, and Fantasia: Music Evolved.
- Performance rigs like V Motion.
- Ocarina for iPhone
- The Axe (start video at 3:48)
Students will learn about the principles, design considerations, and aesthetic qualities of interactive music systems by exploring the following topics:
- Music perception and audio synthesis
- Dynamic multi-track audio mixing and looping
- MIDI/audio synchronization
- Generative composition systems including rhythmic and melodic synthesis
- Exploration of non-standard control devices such as game controllers, motion sensors (Kinect, Leap Motion), and pad controllers.
- Analysis and application of design elements in music games.
- Building graphics for UI, music visualization, and aesthetic cohesion.
The course is taught using the python programming language and therefore fluency in python is a prerequisite. Weekly assignments consist of programming exercises and content creation that equally emphasize the development of technical skills and creativity. The class requires a final project where student teams propose, design, and build an original, dynamic, and engaging interactive music system.
Final Projects from Previous Terms
Filter by Date
Filter by Type