Interactive Music Systems will next be offered:
- Fall 2019. MW11-12:30. Room 4-270.
- Instructor: Eran Egozy.
- TA: Magnus Johnson.
- IMPORTANT: IMS is typically over-subscribed with 70-100 applicants for 18 slots. For Fall 2019, we are doubling the enrollment to 36 students. To be considered for enrollment in this class, you MUST pre-register. Pre-registered students will receive a questionnaire on August 19, which must be completed by August 26.
Interactive Music Systems is a hands on programming and design course that explores audio synthesis, musical structure, HCI (human computer interaction), and visual presentation as the ingredients for the creation of engaging real-time interactive musical experiences.
These experiences allow users to connect with music more deeply than through passive listening. The most successful ones give users intuitive control, greater musical insight, and a deeper emotional response to the musical experience.
Some examples include:
- Games like Guitar Hero, Rock Band, and Fantasia: Music Evolved.
- Performance rigs like V Motion.
- Ocarina for iPhone
- The Axe (start video at 3:48)
Students will learn about the principles, design considerations, and aesthetic qualities of interactive music systems by exploring the following topics:
- Music perception and audio synthesis
- Dynamic multi-track audio mixing and looping
- MIDI/audio synchronization
- Generative composition systems including rhythmic and melodic synthesis
- Exploration of non-standard control devices such as game controllers, motion sensors (Kinect, Leap Motion), and pad controllers.
- Analysis and application of design elements in music games.
- Building graphics for UI, music visualization, and aesthetic cohesion.
The course is taught using the python programming language and therefore fluency in python is a prerequisite. Weekly assignments consist of programming exercises and content creation that equally emphasize the development of technical skills and creativity. The class requires a final project where student teams propose, design, and build an original, dynamic, and engaging interactive music system.
Final Projects from Previous Terms
Filter by Date
Filter by Type